Thursday 6 October 2011

Rucksana Reviews.....MAC Painterly Paintpot

Where has the time gone, I apolgise for my hiatus but I've been somewhat busy and time has ran away from me.

Today, I am going to review MAC's Painterly paintpot.

I purchased Painterly in December 2009, I bought it from the MAC counter in Selfridges in Birmingham's Bull Ring.

This was my very first paintpot, and initially I wanted Bare Study, but on the day it was out of stock so after some gentle persuasion from the sales assistant I ended up with Painterly.

I won't lie to you when I got it home and played around with it I hated it, I felt it didn't blend well, my eyeshadow didn't sit nicely and so after a couple of uses it was relegated to the bottom of my makeup drawer and forgotten about.

However, it wasn't until a few months ago when the gorgeous Cami from Camiloveskiwi, mentioned Painterly in one of her videos that got me thinking about my unloved, neglected paintpot, so I decided to to dig it out and see how I felt about it.

I wore it under Bourjois's intense eyeshadow in number 1, and lo and behold I fell in love with it.
I applied a thin layer of it and it held the eyeshadow in place for well over 12 hours. The eyeshadow blended well over it and due to the matte, creamy texture of the paintpot, it grabbed onto the shadow, so it was true to colour and didn't alter it (which I feel Bare Study can sometimes do).

Painterly is packaged in a glass/glass substitute jar with a black lid. The packaging for the paintpot is pretty ubiquitous, if you are familiar with the brand you will know the packaging from their other products such as fluidlines, chromilines and concealers. If you have other MAC products that are packaged in similiar jars then finding what you are looking can be bit of a hassle. I think MAC, should change the packaging so it is easily distinguishable from others.

The lid has to be screwed on tight otherwise the product wil dry out, again a bit of a packaging flaw..

The product lasts a good 12/16 hours on me, I never got any creasing or fading, however how long it will hold eyeshadow in place will very much depend on your skin type. I have dry skin and don't have much of an issue with eyeshadow once I have used a primer, it will then lash until I chose yo remove it.

The longevity of the product itself depends on how well you store it. I have had mind for nearly 2 years and it is still in perfect condition, if you screw the lid in tighly and store it upside down You should be able to extend the life of it.

Painterly, along with other paintpots is avaliable from most MAC counters, stores and online. It is priced at £13.50

The product Is a creamy matte, eyeshadow, that can be used under eyeshadow to act as a primer, it is flesh toned in colour. It cancels out any pigmentation in the lids so you can a blank canvas upon which you can apply eyeshadow over. However, if you have very apparent yellow undertones then you may want to opt for something like soft ochre of groundwork, as Painterly may look ashy on you

It grabs hold of the shadow, without changing the texture or colur so it will appear true to pan form. In addition if you have a eyeshadow with poor pigmentation, then the creamy texture of it will grab the eyeshadow so it gives the illusion of extra pigmentation.

I am really impressed with this, after disappointing first impressions, I have grown to love and it has superseded, my Bare Study and Urban Decays primer potion. I am really happy I have it another chance ( something I dont often do) and it has now become my go to primer. I will no doubt repurchase this again.

I award if 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment